April 6th Tuesday

The concert proved a great success, the singers had dressed up in great style and so had the passengers. It was given in the Captain’s dining saloon and lasted until 11 o’clock.

After the concert, we went to Tony Faust’s, I mean the smoking room, and enjoyed our Munchener. This morning we arose early and found a rough sea and strong wind. We passed many steamers, and sailing vessels.

We have just passed the coast of Trafalger, made famous by Admiral Nelson’s battle and we are now getting ready to land when we arrive in Gibraltar, which may be in an hour. Mama and I sit comfortably in our chairs, wrapped up and listen to the band. And so I must say good bye and God bless and keep you.

At 10 o’clock, we arrived at Gibraltar, a small boat, the “Grille” came to the steamer, and Emily, with Miss Moran and Grace, boarded her to go to the city. They were escorted by Prof. Goulding of Ann Arbor, Mich., who has been very attentive to the two young ladies and who promised to watch over them and bring them back safely.

Owing to the very rough weather and the drizzling rain, it was rather a task to go, and so Mama and I concluded to stay. We bought a small basket of strawberries and this, with the exception of a bunch of daisies, is all we bought. Owing to the rain, I guess there was very little ware exhibited, and we saw no chance to buy the table cloth for Tante Rickchen.

A tug boat brought up a barge and into this the freight was loaded from our steamer. There were two little boats with fruit in baskets which sold mostly to the steerage passengers as we get all the fruit which we can eat.

The harbor is full of sub-marine mines they tell me, and old English war vessels are lying in different parts loaded with ammunition, I suppose, while on the long breakwater are stored tons of coal.

Punctually at four o’clock, our people returned and brought us, besides the daisies, a large bouquet of blue flags. We had a fine view of the old rock as we steamed past it. The heavy cloud, which had been hanging over it and covering all but the town from sight, had lifted, and we had a good view of it. The seagulls, which had welcomed us and surrounded us during our stay, now followed us to bid farewell.

The last view of the rock was a grand one, 1400 feet high it stands and, although the waves which constantly dash against it, hollow out its base, it is such a tiny hollow that a million years could pass without showing the effect of the dashing waves which look so immense to us.

I have mentioned the fact that we had Rear Admiral French E. Chadwick with us; he and his wife left us here. She had been with Schatzie upon our approach to Gibraltar and explained all about the town and the old rock, being an old traveler she knew all about it.

We left Gibraltar one day late with an adverse wind, which gradually increased to a storm, we did not make much headway. Having had a swell in the Atlantic, we now had a taste of the “Fore and aft rolling motion” which made us change our “Mode of walk,” sometimes precipitating us as if shot out of a cannon and then again halting us suddenly. The steamer would dash into a large wave, cutting it and throwing the spray high up sometimes as high as, and over, the “Commander’s bridge.”

Dinner at seven was a rather “Rocky” affair and we were glad to retire to the “Ladies Saloon” for the evening. The “Shaky ones” gradually disappeared from sight, and we all retired early. They say it stormed all night. Schatzie and I, however, knew nothing of it, for we slept soundly up to 7 o’clock, and so another day and night has passed and gone.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.